Almost all of the ingredients - the onion, Parmesan, olive oil & lemon pepper seasoning were overlooked for this picture. What can I say? I was hurrying :) Start by cutting everything up - this takes a bit, but the rest of the recipe flies by. Which explains the lack of pictures.
Sorry for the dark picture - still learning how to get good pictures during the ever shorter evenings. This looks like a lot of veggies and it is :) I actually didn't use all of the summer squash, about half of that was saved for another night. (amount extra shown below)
Ok, so I started by chopping everything up. I like a mix of shapes but try to keep the over all sizes similar. I cut the chicken while it was still frozen, it starts thawing during cutting but holds it's shape for much easier cutting. Once everything is cut, I use a wok (that has a lid, necessary for the end of the recipe) to cook the chicken.
Just starting to cook here - I had a generous tablespoon or two of oil hot but not smoking before I added the chicken. I seasoned with garlic powder, lemon pepper, and Italian seasoning. You can either sprinkle that on the chicken before cooking or part way through, when ever you remember :) Once the chicken is completely cooked - white all the way through, no pink juices - remove from the pan, saving the juices. Now it's veggie time.
I make sure the pan is hot and add more oil. Then I start with the hardest veggies, working my way to the quickest cooking veggies. It's a little hard to see in my picture of plates above, but I group the veggies by cooking time when prepping them. Onions and carrots go in first, then a minute later celery. Two or three minutes later the peppers & asparagus are added in, then a minute or two after that the summer squash & mushrooms join the pan. Another minute or two goes by, and then the chicken gets added back into the pan. Place the tomato slices in a single layer and sprinkle with more lemon pepper & italian seasoning. Top with thin slices of parmesan cheese.
Put the lid on the pan & keep it over medium heat just until the cheese & tomatoes have softened and a nice layer of steam forms on the lid.
Remove from heat & stir it all together. Oh yum.
If you want this meal to stretch farther, serve over egg noodles or with a side of fresh rolls. I prefer to enjoy it on it's own - a simple meal that my whole family loves. Honest, even the toddler eats this, once it's chopped finer for her :) If you manage to have leftovers, they are delicious cold the next day. (unfortunately) this veggie based dish disappears much too quickly here :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I feel silly listing an actual recipe below, since the amounts change every time I make it. Feel free to alter the veggies to suit your tastes!
Italian Chicken & Veggie Skillet
3 frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or equivalent amount of your favorite cut of chicken)
3 stalks of celery
1 yellow summer squash
1 green sweet pepper
1 red sweet pepper
4 ounces mushrooms
Lemon pepper seasoning
- Cut everything up into bite size pieces.
- Season the diced chicken with spices listed. Saute in oil until completely cooked. Remove from pan, saving juices.
- Saute the veggies, starting with the onions & carrots. After 1-2min, add the celery. After another 2-3 min, add the peppers and asparagus. 1-2 minutes later, add the summer squash and mushrooms. Continue sauteing for another minute or two, then add the chicken & juices back into the pan.
- Add the sliced tomatoes & Parmesan cheese in a single layer across the top. Add more Italian seasoning & (if desired) lemon pepper seasoning. Cover the pan & cook over medium heat until the tomatoes soften and steam covers the lid of the pan. This should take approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat & stir to evenly mix it together.