I'm not sure why meatballs made with rice are referred to as porcupine meatballs? I'm assuming it's due to the irregular appearance but still thought it was funny. Anyway. On to the recipe. I wanted meatballs but couldn't have Swedish (because baby reacts to the dairy) or barbecue (baby is also sensitive to tomatoes). So I made this recipe up as I went and I loved it. Baby girl not so much - turns out citrus does her in also.
1 pound ground beef
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 large onion, diced
2 large eggs
Minced garlic, to preference
Salt & pepper, to preference
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Shape into meatballs. I use a scoop (#40, 1.5tbsp) so they are identical. Very important with kids ;)
3. Place meatballs in a baking dish, not touching, and bake for 30 minutes at 350*F.
4. While the meatballs are baking, prepare the sweet & sour sauce.
5. Stir the meatballs into the sauce. You can either serve immediately or return pan to the oven to hold it while you finish preparing the rest of your meal.
Sweet & Sour Sauce
Juice from 1 (15oz) can diced pineapple
1/4c dehydrated cane sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
1. Add water to the pineapple juice to equal 1 1/2 cups. Pour into a medium saucepan and add the remaining ingredients.
2. Heat over medium low, stirring frequently, until sauce begins to boil. It will thicken slightly and turn a golden amber color.