Monday, March 4, 2013

Whole 30 day 4

I should have eaten a snack last night. I was hungry when my 3yo woke me up at 2am but I didn't want to stay awake long enough to eat. When I woke up at 6am I was so hungry I was nauseous. My blood sugar crashed. I felt like I would vomit and had to sit on the floor so I didn't black out. This would not have happened if I had eaten a protein & fat snack last night. I couldn't stomach the thought of eggs, so I are a banana, as it sounded the most mild in case it came back up. After 45 minutes I ate a big handful of almonds.

This was a regular occurrence in my tween/teen years. If I don't eat enough protein my blood sugar crashes. And during those years high carb low fat low protein diets were king. When I read "Practical Paleo" last fall it finally made sense. My steady diet of grains, carbs, and sugar was messing with my body's natural sugar regulation. I'll write a post about this eventually. For now, I'll just say I'm typically free from this blood sugar cycle if I eat a clean paleo diet and keep my fat intake up. Today was actually my first episode since switching to grain free in September.

Breakfast part 2:
Bulletproof coffee with a lot of coconut. Actually more than I enjoy but I knew I needed good fat in me. 13oz decaf coffee, 1.5oz coconut oil, 1oz coconut milk.

One apple with almond butter and coconut cream. I didn't measure.

Snack
I still felt a little off as the morning continued. I wanted something quick and went for more fruit & almonds.

Lunch
Finally something other than almonds ;) I made a chicken and veggie stir fry. So good. Those aren't bean sprouts - I used a bag of broccoli slaw and we loved it!  Also used cauliflower, zucchini, and onion.

Supper:
Pork Roast, fresh beets, Brussels sprouts sauteed with onions and garlic in bacon fat, and beet greens cooked the same way as the Brussels sprouts.  So good.  I had seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment